Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Shocking Experience

Buenes Noches!
  I hope all of  you lovely people had an awesome day, I know I did!  Yesterday, I spent all day with my sick room mate and made sure Rachel had everything she needed to get better.  She had major throat issues so she gargled and took her medicine and thankfully, today she was good as new.  Just in time too because we got our new team this afternoon!  They are staying here at the dorms with us instead of at the hotel like most teams.  This group from Michigan seem like a wonderful group of people and I look forward to getting to know them better this week.  We had orientation before dinner and our director took us through the schedule for tomorrow and the rest of the week.
  I'm not sure if I have ever mentioned that the showers here are called widow-makers.  Allow me to explain, the showers here are heated by an electric current running through a small pool of water above your head then it releases over you no longer electrified, only hot.  Well this freaks a lot of people out (including me) so I try to down play the reality of the situation as I show a couple of very nervous ladies how to work the seemingly dangerous shower heads.  Tonight, as I reached up to flip on the electricity, like I have done countless times since my stay here at the center, I bumped a slightly exposed area on the shower head and I felt a quick buzz followed by and numbing pain that traveled up my finger and through my hand.  I had to pretend like it never happened or else I knew these sweet ladies would go the entire week without a shower.  I quickly finished my tutorial and headed off to nurse my "wound".  Moral of the story: Don't get overly comfortable with electric showers...
  Even after that little adventure, I am looking forward to zip lining over a coffee plantation tomorrow morning and I will make sure that I tell you all about it the moment I get the chance.  Love you all so much!


  1. Oh my! You come from good you remember the story about DadDad and his finger? To prove to an inspector his equipment was safe, he ran his finger around an uncovered part of the machine. He then quickly stuck his hand in his pocket and went on with the inspection. When the inspector left he went and got stiches on his almost severed finger! Oh that Viking blood!
    Have a great time tomorrow and SCREAM!!!!!!!!!